Tuesday, May 7, 2013

BBQ Pork Burgers

This is more of an idea, rather than an actual recipe. We have been spending a lot of time outside enjoying the nice weather lately. So have our neighbors. One of our neighbors was grilling one night. He was telling us that they were making BBQ pork burgers. We were intrigued. We don't eat ground beef. We rarely have turkey burgers because I always feel like they lack real flavor. I asked him about his BBQ pork burgers. He told me he just mixes BBQ sauce with his ground pork and slaps them down on the grill. He puts foil down first, just in case the burger falls apart. Which it will if you add too much BBQ sauce.

The other night I decided to make these BBQ pork burgers. I changed it up a little bit because I had some ground turkey that I needed to use up as well. So I mixed together the ground turkey and ground pork. I added some sauted red onion and then the BBQ sauce. They turned out delicious!

Since there isn't an actual recipe, here are some tips and the measurements I used.

I used approximately 1 pound of ground turkey and 3/4 pound of ground pork.
I added half a red onion that I had sauted in a little bit of olive oil. You could add the onion raw, but my husband hates onions unless they are fully cooked.
I added about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of BBQ sauce. Any kind of BBQ sauce will work.
Mix it all together well with your hands and form into patties. I separated my patties with wax paper to make it easy to pick them up and get them on the grill.
Use foil on the grill if you are afraid that your mixture is too wet and might fall apart. I could have done fine without using the wax paper, but it did make clean up really easy.
Add cheese just before removing from the grill and allow it to melt.
Serve on hamburger buns with BBQ sauce, (or ketchup and mustard), sliced onions, tomatoes and lettuce.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment