Monday, June 2, 2014

Berry Spinach Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing

I LOVE Zupas. And that might be an under statement. I almost always order the same thing every time I go; a pesto chicken panini and nuts about berries salad. I thought I would make my own berry salad at home. I combined a few different recipes.

Berry Spinach Salad

Dressing:
3/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 red onion, quartered
1 1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp dry mustard

Mix together in a blender.
Then, over 30 seconds time, add the following while blending:

3/4 cup salad oil (I used canola oil)
3/4 cup corn syrup
1 1/2 Tbsp poppy seeds

Toasted Cinnamon Sugar Almonds:
1/2 cup sliced almonds
2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

In a small skillet, combine almonds and sugar. Cook on medium/low heat and watch closely. Keep stirring as the sugar begins to melt, to keep it from burning. Once the sugar melts and covers the nuts, add the cinnamon and stir to coat. Remove from heat and place in foil to cool.

Salad:
1 bag baby spinach
Strawberries, sliced
Blueberries
Blackberries
Raspberries
Feta cheese

Layer spinach, berries, and almonds. Top with dressing and feta cheese.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment