Saturday, December 6, 2014

Frenchmen Street Red Beans and Rice Soup

If you want something fast and simple, make this! My lovely friend lent me her friends cook book that she wrote. It's all crock pot New Orleans food. This is the only one I've made so far, but we both love it!

INGREDIENTS

1 lb. dried red kidney beans
3/4 C of brown rice, uncooked (I only had white rice and used that, it worked just fine!)
1/2 C finely chopped red onion (I just use whatever onion I have, today was yellow.)
2 links andouille sausage, sliced into 1/2" rounds (I found some at Costco that we like)
1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
4 C vegetable broth (I didn't have that, so I just used chicken broth and it worked great as well!)
6-8 C water (I used 7)
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. salt

DIRECTIONS

Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker. Be sure to add enough water to leave 3" of space from the rim of the slow cooker, but no more than 8 cups.
Cook on low heat for 7 to 8 hours, until beans and rice are tender.

(This time since it being after Thanksgiving, I'm going to add in some Turkey in the last hour of cooking. Usually you add meats with Jambalaya or Gumbo, but I'm going to try it in here and see how it turns out!)

Simple as that, ENJOY! Original Recipe from In a While, Crocodile New Orleans Slow Cooker Recipes by Patrice Keller Kononchek and Lauren Malone Keller.

No comments:

Post a Comment