Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Roasted Red Pepper and Basil Pesto Penne

Another recipe that I have found on Pinterest is Roasted Red Pepper and Basil Pesto Penne. I have made this a couple of times. It is really good and very simple. This is prefect for a 'Meatless Monday' meal.

I really like the depth and dimension of flavor that the roasted red peppers add. It took me a while to figure out where the heck to find the roasted red peppers in the grocery store. I finally gave up and found a store employee and asked them. They can be found with the olives and pickles. I guess that makes sense.

If you want to be really ambitious, you can make your own pesto for this recipe. If you want to be lazy (like me), you can use store bought pesto. Sam's Club has some really good jarred pesto, Artisan Fresh, that can be found in the refrigerator section with the specialty cheeses and pastas. I have done both. And in all honesty, I think I like the store bought pesto route a little better. Maybe because I put in more pesto than when I follow the recipe to make my own and I really like pesto.

Roasted Red Pepper and Basil Pesto Penne
From Annie's Eats

2 cloves garlic
1/3 cup pine nuts
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup roasted red bell peppers (fresh of jarred)
1 cup basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 pound penne pasta
1/4 cup heavy cream

Place garlic and pine nuts in a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped. Add Parmesan, red pepper, basil leaves, salt and pepper. Pulse until well combined. With the motor running, add olive oil through the feed tube and process until incorporated. Set aside.

If you are using store bought pesto, combine 1 cup pesto and roasted red peppers in a food processor and pulse until well combined. Set aside.

Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and return to the pot. Add the pesto to the pasta and stir to combine. Stir in heave cream. Heat until warmed through. Serve immediately.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment