Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Applesauce Cookies with Caramel Frosting

These cookies are DELICIOUS!!! I found the recipe on...wait for it, wait for it...yes, you guessed it PINTEREST! Why are we not surprised? I think I may spend a little too much time on there some days. But these cookies are well worth the wasted time if you ask me. I have always wanted to try using applesauce in place of oil in things but have not been brave enough. So I figured why not start with a recipe that actually calls for applesauce just to see how they would taste. They were soooo good! And the caramel frosting...I could (and did) eat that stuff by the spoonfuls! There is a good possibility that I might just make the frosting and not the cookies one of these days because it was that good.

The cookie is more like cake. It isn't your traditional dense cookie dough. It is more like a thick cake batter. I tell you this so that you are not alarmed when you get done making the dough and think that you have done something seriously wrong because it doesn't look like cookie dough. I had that moment of panic, but after re-reading the recipe and verifying that I followed it correctly, I went ahead and popped the cookie in the over and hoped for the best. They turned out perfect.

Applesauce Cookies with Caramel Frosting
From Chef In Training

2 cups sugar
1 cup shortening
2 eggs
2 cups applesauce
4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.

In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and cloves. Set aside.

Cream sugar and shortening together. Add eggs and applesauce and mix well. Add in the dry ingredients and mix until well incorporated.

Drop small spoonfuls of batter on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes.

While the cookies are cooling, prepare the frosting.

Caramel Frosting

6 Tablespoons butter
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar

In a medium sauce pan, over medium heat, combine butter, heavy cream and brown sugar. Cook stirring occasionally until mixture just begins to boil; remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Let cool. Spread frosting over cookies.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment