Monday, April 22, 2013

Buttermilk Biscuits

I am a bread lover. I could make a meal just out of bread. When we go to restaurants that serve bread, more often than not, I fill myself up on so much bread that by the time my meal comes I am no longer hungry.

I have to admit, for as much as I love bread, I don't make it that often. But when I have to make bread there are a few recipes that I always turn to. This buttermilk biscuit recipe is one of those recipes and it is super easy and always turns out great.

Buttermilk Biscuits

4 cups self rising flour or combine the following:
          4 cups flour
          2 teaspoons baking powder
          2 teaspoons salt
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder (in addition to the 2 tsp. if you aren't using self rising flour)
2/3 cup shortening
2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup buttermilk or melted butter

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease 2 baking sheets (or use parchment paper if you are lazy like me.) Mix together self rising flour, sugar and baking powder. Stir well. Cut in shortening until mix looks like coarse cornmeal. Add 2 cups buttermilk and mix just to moisten. Roll out dough 1" thick. Cut into biscuits. Brush with additional buttermilk or butter. Bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment