Monday, April 22, 2013

Sloppy Joes

A little while ago I was talking with some friends about recipe ideas for dinner and one friend had suggested I make Sloppy Joes. She had them the night before for dinner and thought they were really good. She had found the recipe on a blog and said they were the best Sloppy Joes she had ever eaten. (She also told me that it was her first time ever making Sloppy Joes and usually just eats the canned stuff.) I have a Sloppy Joe recipe that I absolutely love, but thought I would try this new recipe since a few other girls had tried it as well and said they liked it. The recipe was good, but I still thought mine was better. They are both very different so it is kinda hard to compare them, other than they are both Sloppy Joes. The recipe I tried was very tomato-y with chunks of bell peppers and steak seasoning. Mine is a little more loose and sloppy and has a sweeter taste with BBQ sauce and brown sugar. I guess it is just my personal preference, after all I did grow up eating my recipe. My husband said he always ate the stuff out of the can before I married him and he likes my recipe better too. Maybe he is bias, or afraid to tell me he doesn't like my cooking in fear that I will stop making him food. :) Anyways, I am a fan of my recipe and thought I would share it with you guys. Maybe you will like it, maybe you have different tastes. But I think it is good!

Sloppy Joes

1 pound ground beef or ground turkey
1/2 onion, chopped
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon BBQ sauce
1 can chicken gumbo soup
1/2 teaspoon powdered mustard
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 bay leaf

Cook meat with onion, salt and pepper to taste; drain. Once meat is cooked, add remaining ingredients and let simmer for 15 minutes; stir occasionally. Remove bay leaf and serve on hamburger buns.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment