Monday, April 22, 2013

Granola

This recipes comes from my mom. I love, love, LOVE granola. I make a batch and keep it in a zip lock bag in the pantry.


Granola

In a large bowl, combine:
6 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup coconut
1/3 cup sesame seeds
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup chopped nuts (almonds or walnuts)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup flax seed (you can grind the seeds in a blender to make a powder if you want)
1/2 cup raisins or craisins**add last 5 minutes of baking**

In a separate bowl, whisk together:
1/2 cup oil
1/3 cup honey
2 teaspoons vanilla

Pour wet ingredients over dry mixture. Stir and coat thoroughly. Spread on cookie sheet and bake at 275 degrees for 15-30 minutes. (Depending on humidity) Stir frequently to ensure even baking. Add raisins/craisins and other dried fruit during the last 5 minutes of baking. Cereal should be golden brown. Do not over bake. Let cereal cool on baking sheet. When cooled, break up any large pieces. Store in airtight container. Makes 8 cups. DO NOT DOUBLE!

I like to heat my honey up in the microwave so that it is a little bit runny before I add it to the oil and vanilla. The higher the humidity, the longer you have to bake the granola. I am not sure why you aren't supposed to double the recipe.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment