Monday, April 22, 2013

Creamy Pesto Penne

Noodles and Company has this dish, Pesto Cavatappi, that is super, duper delicious. I order it almost every time I go. I got this brilliant idea that I was going to make it at home. It couldn't be that hard, could it? I found a recipe online from a woman who used to work at Noodles. Her recipe went something like this: 'Reduce 1 oz white wine in a skillet. Then add 1 oz heavy cream and reduce. Then add .5 oz sauteed mushrooms and 1.5 oz tomatoes and 1 oz pesto and 10 oz of pasta. Top with 1 oz Parmesan.' Ok, so I understand measurements and all, but what ever happened to cups and tablespoons? I was doing good with the recipe until we started mixing fluid ounces with weight ounces. So then I just gave up and decided to make up my own recipe. And the crazy part was I decided to serve my concoction to dinner guests that night without ever making it before. Should have thought through that one a little more cuz I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out...or if it would even turn out at all. Luckily, the recipe turned out really good and everyone loved it. It isn't really close to Pesto Cavatappi but it still tastes yummy. I served this with asparagus.

Creamy Pesto Penne
 
1 box penne
1/2 cup white wine (you can also use chicken broth)
2 cups heavy cream
2 ounces cream cheese
3/4 cup pesto
salt
pepper
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
parmesan cheese


Cook pasta according to package directions, drain. Meanwhile, saute mushrooms in butter until just tender. Drain and set aside.


In a large skillet reduce wine then add cream and cream cheese. Cook over medium heat until sauce thickens, stirring frequently. Add pesto and stir well. Add salt and pepper to taste. (You can also add more garlic if you want.) Add tomatoes, mushrooms and pasta. Cook until warmed through. Serve sprinkled with Parmesan cheese. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment