Monday, April 22, 2013

White Cheese Chicken Lasagna

I had signed up to feed the missionaries once while my husband was working nights and we would not be able to actually have them over for dinner. I just took dinner to their apartment instead. I needed a recipe that would travel well and found this lasagna recipe that I wanted to try. I really should try recipes before I just make them and serve them to other people but then that takes the fun out of it. And if it turns out really horrible then there are less left overs that I have to feel guilty throwing away. Luckily, this lasagna was great! It is a perfect freezer meal idea.

White Cheese Chicken Lasagna

9 Lasagna noodles
1/2 cup butter
1 onion, chopped
1-4 cloves garlic, minced (Depends on how much you love garlic. The original recipe calls for only one clove but I added 4 and thought it was great. I think one just isn't enough.)
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup white wine
1 1/2 cups milk
4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups ricotta cheese
2 chicken breasts, cooked and cubed (I boiled my chicken with seasoned salt, celery salt and poultry seasoning.)
1 pound bag fresh spinach, de-stemmed, steamed and chopped
1 tablespoon fresh parsley (I used approx. 1 teaspoon dry parsley)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese for topping

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water until just softened. Drain and rinse with cold water.

Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Cook the onion and garlic in the butter until tender, stirring frequently. Stir in flour and salt, and simmer until bubbly. Mix in the broth, wine and milk and bring to a boil, stirring constantly; boil for 1 minute. Stir in 2 cups mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Season with basil, oregano and black pepper. Remove from heat and set aside.

Combine ricotta cheese and spinach and set aside.

In a 9x13 baking dish layer as follows:
1/3 sauce
3 noodles
1/2 ricotta/spinach mixture
1/2 chicken
1/3 sauce
1/3 cheese
3 noodles
1/2 ricotta/spinach
1/2 chicken
1/3 cheese
3 noodles
1/3 sauce
1/3 cheese

Sprinkle with parsley and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes at 350 degrees F.

I am pretty sure I got almost every dish in the kitchen dirty making this. But that is how it always is when I make lasagna.

No comments:

Post a Comment