Monday, April 22, 2013

Chicken Cheese Tortilla Soup

When I was home visiting family once, my mom was ranting and raving about this soup. My whole family loves it. She was so adamant that I had to try this soup that she made it for me for lunch and finished it just before I walked out the door for the airport. I am so glad that she made it for me. It is DELICIOUS! I loved it so much that I made it for my husband shortly after I got home. My favorite is the homemade tortilla chip strips.

Chicken Cheese Tortilla Soup

(10) 6" corn tortillas - cut into 1/4" thick strips
1 large onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons vegetable oil or olive oil
15 oz. can tomato puree
4 cups chicken broth
+/- 1/4 cup hot sauce, to taste - add a little at a time, sampling as you go. You can always add more later.
1 green bell pepper, minced
1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper, minced (optional)
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chili powder (I used half chili powder, half chipotle powder.)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup flour mixed with 1/2 cup water
1 pound chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup sour cream
8 oz. Velveeta cheese, cubed
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped - for garnish

Spray tortilla strips with non-stick cooking spray and bake at 400 degrees F until crispy; lightly salt if desired.

In a large pot, over medium-high heat, saute onions and garlic in oil until soft. Add the next 10 ingredients to the pot, bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes.

Whisk flour/water mixture into soup. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add chicken and continue to simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add heavy cream, sour cream and cheese to pot; stir until cheese has melted.

Pour into soup bowls. Top with tortilla strips and cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment