Monday, April 22, 2013

Crock Pot Chicken Tikka Masla

I had never eaten at an Indian restaurant until about 2 years ago. We went out to dinner at an Indian restaurant to celebrate when we found out we were pregnant with #2 and I fell in love with the Chicken Tikka Masala. Now I want to eat it all the time.

Crock Pot Chicken Tikka Masala

1 cup plain yogurt
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
2 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 teaspoons paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 1/2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
1 Tablespoon minced or grated fresh ginger*
1 clove garlic, minced
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 Tablespoon butter, cut into small cubes
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce**
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
rice, cooked

Throw all ingredients, except cilantro, together into the crock pot. Cook on low for 4-6 hours. Transfer to a serving platter, garnish with fresh cilantro and serve over rice. Enjoy!

*You can buy fresh ginger root in the grocery store for pretty cheap. I buy a larger piece since they are easier to peel. When I get home from the store I immediately peel the ginger and place the whole piece of ginger in a ziplock freezer bag. Ginger grates so much more easily if it is frozen. And it can last for a long time in the freezer so you don't waste any of it.

**I think the next time I make this I am going to add more tomatoes. I haven't decided if I want to add more tomato sauce or use a small can of tomato paste for a more intense tomato flavor. I am thinking I will go with the tomato paste. The original Tikka Masala is much more tomato based and I think I like it better.

No comments:

Post a Comment