Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Dessert...aka Cherry Cake

I am working on eating through my food storage in preparation of our move across country in 2 month. As I was cleaning out the food storage I came across some cherry pie filling. My first thoughts were to save it to make a pie. We will be moving long before Thanksgiving, and I would need 2 cans of pie filling to make a pie. I thought a little harder and remembered a cake my mom would make when we were younger. So I pulled out a box of cake mix from food storage and made a cake.

My mom called this cake 'Dessert.' I don't know if that was just for lack of a better name, or if that was really what it was called when she came across the recipe. I refer to it as Cherry Cake when I tell people about it. Regardless of what it is called. It is super yummy! And oh so quick to make.

Dessert aka Cherry Cake

1 box cake mix-either white or chocolate (I prefer white)
1/4 cup water
1 cup sour cream
3 eggs
1 can cherry pie filling

Icing:
powdered sugar
milk
vanilla

Combine cake mix, water, sour cream and eggs. (The batter will be kind of thick. Don't panic, you are doing it right!) Spread on a greased and floured jelly roll pan. Drizzle or spoon cherry pie filling over top. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Cool for at least 15 minutes.

For the icing, combine powdered sugar with a little vanilla and just enough milk to make a smooth and slightly runny icing. You want to be able to drizzle the icing but not have it run all over the cake. Drizzle icing over top of slightly cooled cake before serving. Eat warm or cold.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment