Monday, April 22, 2013

Cream of Broccoli Soup

My husband usually doesn't get a say in what's for dinner unless I am sick of coming up with ideas. When ever I ask him what he would like most of the time he responds with 'I don't really care." Which isn't very helpful for me. Occasionally he will give me an idea or two. Most the time when he suggests something, he will ask for my Cream of Broccoli Soup. He loves it. It is so simple to make, so I can't complain. Besides, broccoli is my favorite food. The thing I love most about this recipe is that you don't really have to follow the recipe to precisely. You can add a little or not so much of each ingredient and the soup is still really good. Sometimes I don't have quite enough broccoli, or need to get rid of some more potatoes, so I make do with what I have.

Cream of Broccoli Soup

1/4 cup butter
1 onion, roughly chopped
2 potatoes, diced
4 cups fresh broccoli, chopped
3 cups chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon salt
dash of pepper
1 cup heavy cream
shredded cheese

In a large pot, melt butter. Add onion, potatoes and broccoli, toss to coat. Press parchment paper on top of the veggies. Put a lid on the pot and simmer gently until veggies are tender-crisp and onion is translucent. Remove paper, add broth. Bring to a boil, then simmer until veggies are soft. Put in a blender* and puree until smooth. Pour back into pan, add salt, pepper and cream. Simmer gently until heated through. Do not boil. Garnish with cheese.

*Be careful when blending hot liquids. They can explode and burn you. Always use a blender with a lid.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment